Hiya Hart Beat. How are you? I hope your Monday is going well, mine is off to a good start and I’m ensconced in my studio writing (procrastinating away). I’ve been pretty dedicated to writing these last few weeks and have been plugging along this morning like most other days. If you haven’t learned yet from Instagram, my life is pretty boring since coming back on the Camino. Most days I wake up early, walk downtown with Mateo, buy a coffee, walk back home, write, write, read, check twitter, look out the window, make coffee, pick at my slowly regrowing toenails, write some more, go for a bike ride, eat dinner, knit, binge on Arrested Development, and pass out with the lights on at 9pm.
I am so so so happy Hart Beat and can’t believe how lucky I am. Over the summer I wrote to you that I pulled together a summer bucket list and I am happy to report that I did all of them except two. Here’s a recap:
- See the friends that I haven’t seen in the past few years (hi sister wives).
- Find a song that I like as much as Malibu (highly doubtful). Almost…Issues by Julia Michaels This version of is pretty damn good.
- Win a sailing race in the Berkshires. Sad times :(
- Skinny dip in the ocean. Under a full moon, boom take that.
- Read a book a week (should be easy for someone who’s daily responsibilities include watering my Grandmother’s flowers and going to the beach..) So. Many. Pages.
- Play in my family’s August tennis tournament. (It was started the year I was born and my entire family plays in it every year. I have never competed.) No, but I did run it.. That should count.
- Write every day. 💪
And now, here for fall. It was easier to come up with some since most are things that I’m already working on (that counts right, Hart Beat?).
- Go to the movies once a week. So far I’ve seen Logan Lucky (good), Wind River (VERY good), and can’t wait to see Home Again this week.
- Get to Boston, Washington D.C., San Fransisco, and Toronto to see friends.
- Go to a book reading or signing every month. (Super excited that first up is Rupi Kaur in Cambridge.)
- Finish the sweater that I started knitting about two winters ago. I want to actually wear it this year.
- Teach Mateo how to play dead when I point a finger at him and say “Bang Bang” a la the Kill Bill Volume II final scene. We’re still working on stay so this might be a full year goal.
- Keep trying to learn french… Not going “tellement bien d’être honnête.” Although I have been dreaming in a French/Spanish combo which is pretty fun.
- Keep working on this GD book every day.
What do you think, Hart Beat? Pretty doable, right? What are your fall goals? Any of them line up with what I’m doing? In other news here are a few things I’ve read around the internet lately that I’ve loved:
- Elizabeth Gilbert remembering 9/11 on Instagram. Made me tear up this morning while I read it in bed cuddling with Mateo.
- Stephanie Danler on knitting and undoing the knitting in The Paris Review (2015). This essay was published a while ago but I’ve returned to it this fall. It’s amazing.
- Liz Welle’s analysis of the new Lana Del Rey album on Wit & Delight. This post is everything I love in blog writing, sass, truth, pop-culture, and humor. Yes girl.
- Eleni N. Gage on How to Not Raise a Ray of Sunshine in The New York Times.
- Felicity Huffman on her love for and anniversary with husband William H. Macy on Twitter. See picture up top.
Anyway, that’s life lately Hart Beat. I hope the week treats you okay and that you get outside a bit. Hopefully talk soon. I have to get back to writing and stop this procrastination nation.
Photo of Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy via Twitter.